if you have opted for clé strata, know that it's not ceramic tile and requires a natural stone installer and someone who can show you their previous work. this person will also be able to install your cement tile as well since cement tile is more similar to natural stone than ceramic tile.
please reference the TCNA handbook for installation of stone tile (www.tcnatile.com)
- layout your tile and blend so that variations in color and veining are where you would like them to be throughout the installation.
- be sure to use non-staining setting materials and follow the manufacturer’s instructions
- clé recommends sealing with a penetrating sealer such as miracle 511 porous plus before and after grouting
- contact the sealant manufacturer prior to application if you are unsure or need clarification.
- consult with your stone professional as necessary
Care & Maintenance:
floor surfaces: dust mop interior floors frequently using a clean, non-treated dry dust mop. sand, dirt, and grit do the most damage to natural stone surfaces due to their abrasiveness. mats or area rugs inside and outside an entrance will help to minimize the sand, dirt, and grit that will scratch the stone floor. be sure that the underside of the mat or rug is a non-slip surface.
the strata collection is made up of various natural stones which are chemically sensitive so only mild pH neutral cleaners should be used. soapless cleaners are preferred because they minimize streaks and film. mild, phosphate-free, biodegradable liquid dishwashing soaps or powders or stone soaps are acceptable if rinsing is thorough.
showers and baths: soap scum can be minimized by using a squeegee after each use and using liquid as opposed to bar soaps.